International Course in Hotel Management
The International Course in Hotel Management (ICHM) is an excellent basis for launching a career in the hospitality industry or for further academic education towards a Bachelor’s Degree.
ICHM is a full-time program, lasts 4 semesters and the language of instruction is English. The curriculum is in accordance with the laws of the Austrian Ministry of Education.
Why Join ICHM?
- Theoretical knowledge enhanced by practical training
- Core courses plus customized choice of electives
- Professional teachers and industry experts
- Small student/teacher ratio allowing a personal atmosphere
- Exciting mixture of students from a wide variety of countries
- Benefit from an international network of graduates from 70 countries
- Gain intercultural competence and insight
- Transfer credits towards Bachelor programs worldwide
- Experience Vienna – study in one of the most beautiful venues in Europe
- Intercultural Communication
- Financial Management
- Sales & Marketing
- Summer Internship
- F&B Operations
- Hotel Management & Operations
- Information Technology
- Event Management
- Pre-opening Management
- Public Relations
- Applied Marketing
- Business Simulation
ICHM begins with a special 3-day orientation program allowing students the opportunity to get to know each other more easily. English and German tests (for non-native speakers) as well as general administration are also on the agenda. A half-day excursion of Vienna with a taste of Viennese hospitality at a local Heurigen round out our Orientation Days.
International Day now takes place every spring and is an opportunity for students to showcase their countries and manage a real event from square one. It is open to the public and proceeds go to international charities. Don't miss this exciting event! See news for current date.
A minimum of 8 weeks of practical training is required between ICHM 2 and ICHM 3. Placements in foreign countries are highly recommended. A good command of the German language, which is offered as a core course, is essential for an internship in Austria.
Internship contracts are made directly between employer and employee and can be downloaded below. Offers for vacant jobs are frequently sent to our center. Please check with our internship office.
Life at MODUL
All students in Austria need to be covered by a health insurance program.
To guarantee MODUL's corporate identity school uniforms are required at all times. Practical training uniforms are mandatory for food production and restaurant service classes. These can only be purchased after arrival in Vienna at the company - der Walter (www.derwalter.at).
A three-course lunch is available in the school cafeteria from 11.00 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. for € 5.90. There are also vegetarian selections. Snacks and refreshments are also sold at the student-run Snack Bar throughout the day.
Excursions are an integral part of the ICHM program throughout the 4 semesters. In addition to most of the well-known hotels, restaurants and coffee houses in Vienna, students also take a closer look at other institutions including TV and radio studios, a vineyard, convention centers, museums, trade fairs and much more!
After successfully completing the 4 semester course, ICHM graduates are awarded the "Diploma in International Hotel Management" from the Tourism College MODUL. This diploma is acknowledged by the Vienna Chamber of Commerce and the Austrian Ministry of Education as well as a number of affiliated universities worldwide. It lists all the subjects studied and includes the student's overall results, i.e. "with distinction", "highly commended" or "with merit" depending on grade point average.
ICHM graduates have received credit towards a bachelor's degree in various countries.
Tuition and Fees
The total fee for the 2 year course is € 11,900. The annual fee includes:
- Food and Beverage costs during practical training lessons
- Accident Insurance (while on the premises)
- Print media such as textbooks, handouts and other educational material
A non-refundable registration fee of €100 and the first installment of € 3,000 are due within one month of notification to guarantee enrollment. The second tuition installment is due by the following February, otherwise course participation will be denied.
All bank commissions and fees (including those due to exchange rate fluctuations) must be paid by the participant. Please be sure to check current exchange rates.
There is a cancellation fee of €400 for cancellations made before August 15. No refund is possible after this date. If a student voluntarily withdraws from the course or is expelled for disciplinary or other reasons, no money will be refunded.
Please send registration and tuition fee payments to:
Vienna Chamber of Commerce
Bank Austria – Credit Anstalt
Account Number: 104-126-223/00
(IBAN = AT60 1200 0104 1262 2300 / BIC = BKAUATWW)
Your acceptance letter is an extremely important document for you. It is necessary when applying at the Austrian Embassy in your home country for a special visa for studies at ICHM (SCHÜLER) or for transferring currency.
A visa and residence permit for Austria may take up to 6 months in many countries.
Please notify ICHM in writing by August 31st if you are not able to attend the course.
A Matura Certificate, or the equivalent to a Matura (i.e. Abitur, International Baccalaureate, A-levels, etc.), or a minimum of 3 years of experience in the hospitality industry is required.
Proof of English Proficiency
An internationally recognized English proficiency exam is a prerequisite for all students whose native language is not English.
- IELTS 5.5-6.0
- TEST Minimum Score
- Standard TOEFL 550
- iBT TOEFL 65-78
- Cambridge CELS Vantage Level
All applications must be received by August 1st of the year you want to enroll.
- Fill in the online application form.
- The following documents must be enclosed:
- Copy of birth certificate
- Certificate of health
- Letter of recommendation from current employer or academic institution with an appraisal of your qualifications
- 2 recent passport photos
- Photocopy of passport
- Curriculum vitae/Resume in English
- Letter of motivation in English
- Certified English or German translation of most recent academic transcript, high school diploma, or secondary school leaving certificate (photo copy)
- After the completed application materials have been reviewed, eligible applicants will be invited to an interview (personal or telephone).
- Students admitted to ICHM will be notified with a written confirmation of acceptance within one month.
- Our center does not provide accommodation. Dormitories and private apartments are available in Vienna but it is the students’ responsibility to find their own housing. More information can be found under Living in Vienna.